2.03.2008

Scariest moment yet

Walking from my car to the office building on Friday morning, I slipped on a patch of ice and fell. I landed on my butt and caught myself with my arm/elbow, so no direct impact to the back or belly area. So I'm thinking everything's probably fine and I go in and start my day. But just to be safe, I called my doctor's office and let them know what happened. They said I needed to go to Labor & Delivery to get a blood test and be on a monitor for a little while. Just to be safe. So Becca (a friend at work) drove me to the hospital and Steven met us up there. All seemed fine and good at first. I wasn't feeling any pain (other than a bruised rump and scraped elbow) and I could feel baby moving normally. They had a monitor on my belly and baby's heart rate seemed perfectly normal. But after an hour or two, they told me that I'd been having contractions every two minutes. Yikes. We talked and I realized that I had been feeling them, but just didn't know that's what it was. They put me on an IV, hoping that if I could just get enough fluids, the contractions would stop. But they wouldn't let me eat or drink anything - just in case they had to deliver the baby. (In case WHAT?!? Scary.) After a several more hours of lying in the hospital bed with an IV and monitors, the contractions still hadn't stopped. So the fluids thing wasn't it. The blood test was negative (good), the sono looked good, cervix check was excellent - all signs looked like the fall didn’t affect anything, but for some reason the contractions were just non-stop. Oh, and by the way, when they did the sono, they guessed that he's about 2 pounds 9 ounces right now. A little on the big side - especially his head. My doctor came in at about 4:30pm and said they were going to give me some meds to stop the contractions. And if they stopped, then I could eat something. Also, she wanted me to stay overnight so they could continue to monitor things. She also explained that these were "irritability" contractions (not the same as labor contractions), so that made me feel a bit better. I got a shot and some meds and about two hours later, they said the contractions had stopped, so I could order some dinner. Yay! I ordered a ton of food and actually ate (almost) all of it. Plus sweet potatoes off Steven's plate. :-) A little later, Steven went to get some stuff from and we moved into another room for the night. NOT a fun night. The meds made me really jittery and restless, but I was stuck in a hospital bed hooked up to all that stuff. We watched Shrek 3 and tried to get some sleep, but I was so uncomfortable. I kept waking up sweating from the meds and the nurse had to keep coming in and adjusting the belly monitor every time baby moved away from it. And poor Steven was sleeping on a crappy excuse for a sofa bed. Plus we could hear the baby’s heartbeat and movement on the monitor all night long. We finally gave up on sleeping at about 6:45am and ordered some breakfast. Then my doctor came back in at about 8am. I'd had a few contractions during the night and that morning, but nothing very regular or close together, so they weren't concerned. They said it was probably because I have such an active baby. So we were free to go home, with no restrictions for me. So I’m home now. And I have a fairly big, very active baby in my belly. And he's only going to get bigger!

No comments:

Leo's 365 - while it lasted